1 min read •
Bugatti, History and Renaissance - Part 7: The Type 32
In 1923 Ettore made the public presentation of the new Type 30, the first Bugatti road car equipped with an 8-cylinder engine. More accessible than the Type 28, this model used a chassis longer than the Type 13, with 2.85m wheelbase, the engine was a 2-liters, with 24 valves, 3 per cylinder, and 2 carburetors, one for each block of 4 cylinders.
This model would prove to be a technical and commercial success, remaining in production until 1926 and having been built around 600 cars.
Still in 1923, the Bugatti team performed at the French GP, held in Tours, with three new cars, the Tipo 32.
Equipped with a wraparound bodywork, whose profile resembled an airplane wing, these models would receive the designation of "tanks", suggested by their massive and inelegant silhouette.
They used a short chassis, 2 meters of wheelbase, lowered, to improve aerodynamics and were powered by an 8 cylinders engine, derived from the 24-valve Type 30.
Friedrich was the only one in the team to finish the race, in a hard-earned 3rd place. The car had proved to be very nervous and unstable, probably due to the combination of the very short wheelbase with an aerodynamic configuration that generated lift and caused a loss of traction at high speed.
Returning to his refuge in Molsheim, Ettore would not be overwhelmed by the criticism and failure of the Type 32 and was preparing for his return to the tracks.
And how beautiful that return would be!